Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankfulness Thursdays/ Week Fifteen


It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is right around the corner (I think I write that every week haha)! As we gear up for the holiday season, it's easy to focus on all the things on our to-do list. Inspired by Ashley from Domestic Fashionista, each Thursday for the past fourteen weeks, I've shared something or someone for whom I'm thankful as a small way to remember what this season is really all about. Be sure to check out Ashley's post today and you can link up your own too!

Today I'm thankful for our country.

We have our problems to be sure. We are a flawed society full of issues. But on Tuesday, I was reminded that in spite of all the complaints about our government, our leaders, and our political system, we still have so much more than so many other countries and we shouldn't take that for granted. Each election, we take our kids with us when we vote. Even if they don't understand the process or the reasons behind it, we feel it's important for them to see voting in action.

Our daughter asked us why people were waiting in line at our polling place and it was such a great opening to introduce the concept of freedom to our young child. This year I tried to emphasize that no matter who wins or loses, the fact that we have a choice and a say in the matter is the important part. In a heated presidential race like the one that just concluded, it seems that a lot of people forget this. They are so focused on whether their guy wins that they lose a sense of what this country is about... unity. When I was watching the election coverage on Tuesday, I prayed that whoever wins would focus less on taking sides and more on working for the common good.

As we move forward from election night, let's try to be thankful that we are a country with so much freedom.

3 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the linkup! Love this post, with all the negative before the election and now all the complaining after it is so nice to read a post where someone reminds me that we live in such a great country. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I've been trying to keep it positive both here and on facebook which is usually littered with political ranting and raving. I think it's important to remember that we have it pretty great here in the USA.

      Delete
  2. I didn't mention it in the post, but we made pretend ballots for both kids using a free printable I found online. I should put a link for the future. We wrote down each of their favorite lovies on their ballots and let them check off their "vote" and sign their name. Our little guy was content to carry his around but his big sister wasn't satisfied until the lady collecting ballots took hers too. She was very nice and gave everyone stickers :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say and checking out your blogs too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share