Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My First Mother's Day and a Big Birthday

Last weekend was full of celebration. My sister graduated from college, I welcomed my first official Mother's Day (Baby was born the day after Mother's Day last year), and we celebrated Baby's first birthday! My parents, uncle and cousin were all in town for the graduation so we had a fun weekend together and we were able to have a nice birthday party for Baby with Nana and Grampy. It's still hard for me to believe that she is actually one. The year seems to have passed by so quickly that it doesn't seem possible. Naturally I am now an expert in the field of mothering. Ha. More like I've survived so far. But there are a few things that I have learned about being "the mama" as the Fiance calls me.

1. If you can just drag yourself out of your bed and make it to the crib, the smile that awaits you will make you forget how tired you are and how little sleep you've had.

2. You should always have a hair-tie, headband, bobby pin, etc handy because there is nothing more annoying than having your arms full of baby and hair in your face. This is doubly important on a windy day.

3. It is rarely a good idea to put the nice outfit on before a meal because it will almost always get messy- this counts for both you and the baby.

4. Even if the nice outfit get messy, you probably won't care much if it is the result of baby hugs and cuddles.

5. It will always feel a little silly to check that the baby is still breathing but once the thought crosses your mind, you won't be able to sleep until you've checked so you might as well just do it.

6. All milestones big and small are exciting, but hearing "mama" for the first time and knowing it is actually directed at you will warm your heart over and over again.

7. No matter who you talk to or what book you read, no one knows your baby like you do.

Happy (belated) Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading what you have to say and checking out your blogs too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share